Thailand Power Dealbook: TTCL, MDX

Visual from the TTCL website

In two cross-border power sector developments this week, Thailand-based Toyo-Thai plans to set up coal fired plants in Myanmar while MDX is in talks with authorities to set up hydropower projects in Laos .

Toyo-Thai signs MOU to build two power plants in Myanmar

Toyo-Thai Corporation (TTCL), an integrated engineering procurement and construction contractor, and its subsidiary have signed a memorandum of agreement with Myanmar’s Department of Hydropower Planning, to develop two units of 640-megawatt coal-fired power plant in Myanmar, with total investment of $2.8 billion.

Of total investment, $2.3 billion will go toward engineering, procurement and construction contract. Around 75 per cent of the investment will be funded by borrowings from the financial institutes and the rest 25 per cent will come from equity.

President and chief executive officer Hironobu Iriya said that the project would adopt Japan’s Ultra Super Critical technology, and will use four million tonnes of coal, a year, as fuel.

Located in Ye Township, the government has granted 30-years concession to TTCL. The construction is scheduled to be completed in 4-6 years.

MDX in talks with Lao govt to set up hydro power plants

Thailand’s property and infrastructure developer M.D.X. PCL (MDX) is negotiating with Laos government to establish more hydro power plants there, according to local news websites.

MDX currently holds a minority stake in in two power plants with a combined generating capacity of 850 megawatts. Both of them have signed the contracts to sell electricity to Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand.

In the property business, it has around 300 rais of land with an estimated value of 1 billion baht. The local news websites cited that a group of Japanese investors was interested in buying the lands for their future investment.

Also read:

Exclusive: TSF, SUMEC JV to launch Thailand’s first solar leasing biz

Thailand’s UWC eyes four JVs for renewable energy

Singapore Reporter/s

In Singapore, we are looking to double our reporting team by this year-end to comprehensively cover the fast-moving world of funded startups and VC, PE & M&A deals. We want reporters who can tell our readers what is really happening in these sectors and why it matters to markets, companies and consumers. The ability to write precisely and urgently is crucial for these roles. Ideal candidates must have to ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic, and fast-changing environment. We want our new hires to be digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling. Most importantly, we are looking for hard-hitting reporters who work well in a team. Collaboration and collegiality are a must.

Following vacancies can be applied for (only in Singapore).

Following vacancies can be applied for (only in Singapore).   

  • A reporter to track companies/startups that have raised private capital, and have the potential to become unicorns. SEA currently has over 40 companies with a valuation of over $100 million and under $1 billion.
  • A reporter who can get behind the scenes and reveal how funding rounds are put together, or why they’ve failed to materialise. She/he in this role will largely focus on long-format stories. 
  • A journalist to track special situations funds, distressed debt and private credit (from the PE angle) across Asia.

Singapore Reporter/s

In Singapore, we are looking to double our reporting team by this year-end to comprehensively cover the fast-moving world of funded startups and VC, PE & M&A deals. We want reporters who can tell our readers what is really happening in these sectors and why it matters to markets, companies and consumers. The ability to write precisely and urgently is crucial for these roles. Ideal candidates must have to ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic, and fast-changing environment. We want our new hires to be digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling. Most importantly, we are looking for hard-hitting reporters who work well in a team. Collaboration and collegiality are a must.

Following vacancies can be applied for (only in Singapore).

Following vacancies can be applied for (only in Singapore).   

  • A reporter to track companies/startups that have raised private capital, and have the potential to become unicorns. SEA currently has over 40 companies with a valuation of over $100 million and under $1 billion.
  • A reporter who can get behind the scenes and reveal how funding rounds are put together, or why they’ve failed to materialise. She/he in this role will largely focus on long-format stories. 
  • A journalist to track special situations funds, distressed debt and private credit (from the PE angle) across Asia.