We are a financial news platform tracking startups, private equity, venture capital and other investments, initial public offerings, and mergers and acquisitions, and are on our way to becoming the go-to destination for deal activity in Asia.
We’re looking for people at all stages of their careers to bring different perspectives and practices to our teams. If you have a passion for cracking big business stories, tracking investments in your country or the region, a fascination for M&A, VC and PE, IPO activity or are keen on deal analytics, then reach out to us.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
or connect with our editor-in-chief on twitter: @jojiphilip
We encourage applicants to thoroughly read the requirements for each job they consider. Be sure you’re not applying to a position in which you have no comparable experience, and that you fully understand the job description. Submission of a cover letter with the application is encouraged.
- A reporter to track companies/startups that have raised private capital, and have the potential to become unicorns. SEA currently has over 40 companies with a valuation of over $100 million and under $1 billion.
- A reporter who can get behind the scenes and reveal how funding rounds are put together, or why they’ve failed to materialise. She/he in this role will largely focus on long-format stories.
- A journalist to track special situations funds, distressed debt and private credit (from the PE angle) across Asia.
Hong Kong Reporter/s: We are looking for seasoned journalists in Hong Kong as we expand operations to that city. The candidate/s in this role should have a fascination for the intricacies of deal making – M&A, venture capital, private equity, public equity, IPOs, investment banking – and must be able to write on these issues with insight for professionals.
Ideal candidates will have experience in covering this space and must have a portfolio of well-written, thoughtful and impactful stories. The reporters in this role will be responsible for shaping our coverage of the region and will handle all issues related to the daily editorial flow. Our HK team will work out of the Nikkei/FT office. These positions, which will report to our HK editor, are open only to locals or HK permanent residents.
Hong Kong Editor: We are seeking a high energy, ambitious and young journalist, willing to invest their time and expertise to head and build our Hong Kong Bureau. The Hong Kong Bureau will be responsible for China and Taiwan, and will coordinate closely with reporters we hire in South Korea and Japan at a later stage, as DealStreetAsia expands to these markets.
Candidates should have a fascination for the intricacies of deal making – M&A, venture capital, private equity, public equity, IPOs, investment banking – and must be able to write on these issues with insight for professionals, and for a global audience. Experience in having covered these segments, as well as an understanding of these markets are musts.
The ideal candidate should be able to build a team and guide fellow reporters, in addition to leading DealStreetAsia’s news coverage with exclusive market-moving news and scoops. The person in this role will also be involved in helping plot the portal’s coverage of Chinese tech companies and unicorns as they go global, especially their investments into SEA and India. Candidates who’ve demonstrated experience in crafting strategy, and have an eye for identifying important stories, and can collaborate with the team on story framing and presentation, will be preferred.
This person will be a member of the leadership team at DealStreetAsia. S/he will report to the Editor-in-Chief. This role is open only to an HK local or a permanent resident.
Thailand Reporter: At DealStreetAsia, we believe Thailand’s tech and startup ecosystem is finally poised to take off. The person in this role will work with our SEA team and news editors and take the lead in setting the editorial agenda for our Thailand coverage. Knowledge of venture capital/startup ecosystem, finance, or tech is a plus but not mandatory.
The reporter who joins us in Bangkok will be expected to do a combination of breaking news (original and exclusive work), narrative stories and explainers, for the local audience, our ASEAN readers and our global subscriber base. This position will be based in Bangkok (Thailand) and will report to the Southeast Asia Editor.
Myanmar Reporter: As Myanmar opens up again for business, will this be yet another false start? The reporter chosen for this position will work closely with the editorial team in SEA, as well as our editors, to plan longer-term coverage on Myanmar. She/he must explain the big picture view of the country to our subscribers.
The right candidate should be able to produce a mix of important scoops, hard-hitting investigations, news analyses and trend stories, along with profiles and features.
The ideal candidate will also help the SEA team handle urgent releases. This position will be based in Myanmar and will report to our Southeast Asia Editor.
India Editor: The India editor will be responsible for DealStreetAsia’s coverage of a wide range of important stories across tech & funded startups, unicorns, VC and private equity, and must have an ear for stories that will interest our global audience.
On any given narrative or breaking news, the ideal candidate will be the one who can take the lead on determining what stories we tell, which reporters will work on it, and the angle we take such that our work provides context and perspective for audience, both in the country and abroad.
We value: Aggressive reporting. Sharp and precise writing. High journalistic standards.
This editor must have managed reporters and edited news and character driven features in the past, and should be able to work well under tight deadlines.
The job requires strong organisational and communications skills, creative ideas for framing pieces, deft editing hands and a discerning eye for good writing.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills and the ability to inspire others to do their best work. Digital experience is a must, while print experience will be a plus.
This position will be based in India and will report to the Editor-in-Chief. This person will be a member of the leadership team at DealStreetAsia.
India Reporter/s: We are looking for a bunch of hard-hitting reporters who work well in a team. We expect the people in these roles to be able to write clearly and evocatively, embrace a range of story forms, including breaking news, narrative stories and explainers, develop and maintain a network of sources as well as deliver original and exclusive work on a daily basis. They will be required to explain the PE/VC, M&A and the broader deals landscape to both regular readers and our (paid) subscribers, and should also be able to tell our global audience how these deals affect communities, corporate culture and consumers. This involves being able to break news about the biggest, most important deals and to write authoritative on-the-fly stories when deals get announced. These positions will be based in India and candidates selected for these roles will report to the India Editor.
Editorial Interns: We are looking for Editorial Interns. Interns will primarily cover the startup tech scene – accelerators and incubators – as well as the venture capital space in Singapore, and can use the opportunity to build a strong portfolio. DealStreetAsia is committed to taking promising interns onboard as full-time journalists.
SALES, EVENTS & MARKETING
Director, Sales (based in Singapore): As DealStreetAsia moves into its next phase of growth, we are looking to bring on board a senior executive to drive all revenue and marketing functions (sales, marketing, subscriptions, data products and events), and guide the direction of the organization in every facet of the design and execution of our go-to-market strategies.
Apply for this role only if you are fired up about our offerings, future plans and the potential niche vertical media offers – the ideal candidate will need to be a go getter, hustler, persuasive, and effective communicator, who will live, breathe and drive the next 5 years of DealStreetAsia’s revenue life. You have to be all in! 100%!
At the current phase of the company’s growth, the role combines all revenue functions – so you’ll have to demonstrate proficiency developing and driving product revenues and mapping long-term company growth areas. You will play a key role in all non-editorial hiring we make, and work with the team on all current deals, optimize the sales process and tactics of the company and help define our go to market strategy.
This role requires strong leadership skills and people management experience – sales, marketing, events roles will report into you. It also requires strong working proficiency with marketing automation systems. Having a financial background will be a plus.
While we are looking for an experienced hand, you don’t need to be a sales director in your current company to apply. Instead, we are looking for an executive who has a terrific understanding of the media space, and is willing to work within the ethics and standards the company has set for itself. We, therefore, need an ambitious, creative, hardworking people manager who’s excited to jump in and build the business. Previous senior level experience building out a sales and marketing organisation will be a plus.
You must also know how to interact and collaborate with the editorial department. At DealStretAsia, we put editorial integrity first. You should be able to help put the best tools and processes in place to maximize efficiency through a strong operating rhythm, and also work collaboratively across virtually every function to create alignment and implement various strategic projects designed to drive revenue at a rapidly growing media company.
This role will report to the Editor-in-Chief.
- Lead the team responsible for all revenue functions – bring in high levels of quality, accuracy, and process consistency
- Work alongside all revenue-related roles to establish and maintain scalable processes within the sales and customer lifecycle in order to maximize revenue growth.
- Evaluation, improvement, and implementation of all tools and software
- Drive annual planning process for sales, marketing, subscription teams and budget goals
- Ensure the integrity of data and data flows in Salesforce, HubSpot, and other sales and marketing support tools.
- Own the leads handover process and actively manage the intersection of marketing and sales
- Support leadership in understanding of pipeline, forecasts, retention, and other KPIs while bringing best in all non-editorial roles; to support leadership in maximizing sales and retention
Deliver and execute on strategic projects and serve as the primary conduit for cross-functional work
- Intelligent strategist/big-picture thinker that recognizes opportunity for revenue growth
- Self-starter that learns quickly and can navigate a fast-paced environment
- Builder that enjoys implementing streamlined processes
- Ability to prioritize & multi-task with exceptional time-management skills
- Relationship-builder that is able to work with various stakeholders and solve challenges in both macro and individual settings
- Strong team-first attitude, committed to developing your people
- A get-stuff-done attitude
Events Marketing Manager: The Events Marketing Manager of Deal Street Asia will join an entrepreneurial team that is building a new portfolio of world-class conferences for top audiences in the Private Equity and Venture Capital industry.
DealStreetAsia events are editorial products – which leverage the editorial strength of the brand in Asia and marry that with the potential of high-end targeted events for premium PE VC audiences. Content is an important part of differentiating in this event crowded industry.
The Events Marketing Manager will be primarily responsible for the production of our flagship Asia PE-VC Summit and ancillary events. The role requires a creative and strategic thinker with an understanding of the live event space and the key financial drivers, strong event production experience, a knowledge of and passion for business and finance industry, as well as the technology and marketing tools that serve to attract audiences.
- Build the DealStreetAsia Events model, leading the largest Asia PE-VC Summit as the key event of the year and building more ancillary events
- Oversee production for Asia PE VC Summit, including managing logistics, contracts, vendors, promotion, marketing, website, ticketing, payment gateways printed materials and technical aspects.
- Work closely with the Editor in chief to plan and manage DSA event calendar, content format and speakers.
- Plan content and oversee production of communication.
- Manage sponsorships, events budget, including accounts receivable and invoice submission.
- Develop DSA video library and online content.
- Partner with advertising sales/ collaborating news publications to develop event sponsorship proposals and coordinate sponsorship activation with the sponsorship coordinator.
- Proven event production expertise and event marketing expertise
- Self starter with ability to work in a fast paced startup environment
- Rapid learner who can engage with journalists, editors, speakers, sponsors etc.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and events simultaneously
- Poised, proactive, extremely detail-oriented with a creative streak to build new event formats
- Strong problem-solving skills – approaches problems logically with a solution oriented mindset and with good judgement to provide the appropriate outcome
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to give clear, concise direction
- Solid command of Excel, PowerPoint/Keynote
- Knowledge of HTML coding a plus
- Ability to work nights and weekends if needed
- Ability to travel as needed
Product Head: As DealStreetAsia looks at hitting the next level, a big part of that journey will be enhancing the experience for our readers and subscribers. The ideal candidate for this role will be passionate about journalism and the company’s mission of building a world-class media organization powered by our subscribers.You would need to understand user needs and determine our competitive position in the market, and be responsible for evaluation, improvement of the product and user experience on a continuous basis. You should have the ability to build a vision for where DealStreetAsia needs to be from an IT infrastructure and experience perspective to bring innovative products to our readers. You will develop and execute a plan for how to move towards the company’s vision, and communicate progress to the team and relevant stakeholders.
You will be based in Singapore and will report directly to the Editor-in-Chief, working closely with the Director of Sales.
- Develop a product plan with long term goals in mind that enables us to quickly take ideas, test them, and turn them into compelling user experiences that we can launch and learn from
- As DealStreetAsia expands, drive innovation across events and subscription benefits for readers while creating new products for readers to benefit from
- Define metrics to track product success, with an eye toward continuous improvement and experimentation
- Continuously think about how to build user habits into the experience
- You will collaborate with editorial, research and data, and our events team and develop the product roadmap
- You will help DealStreetAsia identify, define and build the essential products with global potential to meet new market opportunities.
- You will be given broad leeway and autonomy to define the product and business model, to build the team, and devise and manage the overall execution plan.
- Prior product experience with multimedia, consumer, and/or subscription products; Experience in zero-to-one product development entrepreneurial environments
- Natural ability to create something brand new
- Ability to cross-functional teams with multiple stakeholders, and steering engineering, design and editorial partners to focus on the most impactful work
- The ability to balance strategic thinking with the nuts and bolts of getting features out the door
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
Sales & Marketing Head (Hong Kong): As DealStreetAsia expands to HK, we are looking for a sales and marketing executive, who will be our representative there, to help people understand what makes our product different and worth paying for. The person in this role should match our ambition of building Asia’s largest and most reputed vertical media company, and be able to unlock new opportunities for growth in the business. As this will be the first non-editorial hire in HK, we are looking for a self-starter with the ability to work under pressure and make independent decisions. This means developing new, innovative sales initiatives to put our brand and products in front of future clients. This will be an end-to-end role – from pre-sale process to post sale activity and ensuring that all the deliverables are met – the successful candidate will be knowledgeable in all aspects of the sales process and will serve as a team liaison with other revenue functions internally, and clients (externally).
This position will report to Director, Sales
- Prospecting for new clients – for our subscriptions, data services, events tickets sales and sponsorships – via both phone calls and emails at high volume with an eye toward exceeding expectations.
- Actively seeking out new potential client accounts and making the first contact with those accounts to generate interest
- Passing on leads to marketing, subscriptions, events & sales executives and helping them close deals.
- The person is this role will have 2+ years in sales, and we will prefer candidates with experience working with media/SaaS and enterprise companies.
- The ideal candidate should have experience across both inbound and outbound channels, with a preference toward cold outbound outreach, and also have expertise with CRMs, CRM reporting, and sales automation tools.
- The role requires excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.